Saturday, June 11, 2011

Are we doing what God wants us to?

Today I thought to write a few words about my mission. I am so very grateful for this opportunity which I have to serve the Lord. It has helped me more than anything I can even imagine prepare for the rest of my life and eternity. Well it all started when I voluntarily decided to fulfill a church mission. After lots of trials and opposition here I am. I am currently serving in the TENNESSEE NASHVILLE MISSION, for THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS. I entered the MISSIONARY TRAINING CENTER (MTC) on March 31, 2010. I was there until April 19, 2010 at which point I jumped on an airplane and flew to Nashville. I have been in the surrounding areas ever since. I have served in Fairview, TN Branch, Fulton KY Ward, Mayfield KY Branch and am now serving in the Clarksville TN 1st Ward. While being at these different areas I have been able to render service and testimony to those who were willing to accept it. I have seen homes ruined spiritually and physically through different storms. I have seen faith strengthened and testimonies built because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have been able to be a tool in the Lord's hand to fulfill His purposes. "For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."(Moses 1:39) This has been most rewarding above anything I have ever done in my life. This has brought me more joy than any human being could ever imagine. Don't get me wrong though because it is hard knowing what you have and people not accepting it. Being persecuted by those who the scriptures talk about hard hearted people. But the words of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ are so comforting, "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." (Mark 13:13) The cause of me coming on my mission is to strengthen the Faith of other in the Lord Jesus Christ and to help them make and keep covenants with Him who suffered for all our sins. My whole purpose is to stand as a Representative and Ambassador of the Lord Jesus Christ and to, "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in
Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and
enduring to the end." This is such a great cause and work for all of us to be engaged in.  

Recently I received a phone call about the end of my mission. I was informed I will be going home 6 weeks earlier than expected. I will be returning on February 22, 2012. Until this date I am an ordained and set apart ambassador of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am on His time. I am fulfilling His purpose. But let us not forget that whether we are full-time missionaries or member missionaries we all have the calling of, "And again, I say unto you, I give unto you a commandment, that every man, both elder, priest, teacher, and also member, go to with his might, with the labor of his hands, to prepare and accomplish the things which I have commanded. And let your preaching be the warning voice, every man to his neighbor, in mildness and in meekness." (Doctrine and Covenants 38:40-41) Lets remember the commandment which has been given to us as members of His church, THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS. Let us be faithful to the covenants which we made at baptism and ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM, TAKE HIS NAME UPON US, AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. We renew this covenant every week at the sacrament table. As President Hutchings says, "Are we covenant keeping people or do we just not break our covenants because there is a difference. Covenant keeping people will be on the right hand of God and people who don't break their covenants will be on the left hand of God." We are here on this earth at this time for a specific reason. We need to figure out what that reason is and get to work. God has many blessings in store but unless we do what we need to we will not receive those blessings. We must always remember that. He always promises us blessings without reservation but we are holding ourselves back from receiving these blessings. Why do we hold ourselves back from these blessings?

I know every worthy young man should serve a mission a mission. I so look forward to the day when I get to serve a mission as a senior. At which point I will have chosen my companion. But until then my missionary service is not done. Not until I leave the spirit world will my missionary work be done.

President Thomas S. Monson (THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS) says,
"First, to young men of the Aaronic Priesthood and to you young men who are becoming elders: I repeat what prophets have long taught—that every worthy, able young man should prepare to serve a mission. Missionary service is a priesthood duty—an obligation the Lord expects of us who have been given so very much. Young men, I admonish you to prepare for service as a missionary. Keep yourselves clean and pure and worthy to represent the Lord. Maintain your health and strength. Study the scriptures. Where such is available, participate in seminary or institute. Familiarize yourself with the missionary handbook Preach My Gospel.
A word to you young sisters: while you do not have the same priesthood responsibility as do the young men to serve as full-time missionaries, you also make a valuable contribution as missionaries, and we welcome your service.
And now to you mature brothers and sisters: we need many, many more senior couples. To the faithful couples now serving or who have served in the past, we thank you for your faith and devotion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. You serve willingly and well and accomplish great good.
To those of you who are not yet to the season of life when you might serve a couples mission, I urge you to prepare now for the day when you and your spouse might do so. As your circumstances allow, as you are eligible for retirement, and as your health permits, make yourselves available to leave home and give full-time missionary service. There are few times in your lives when you will enjoy the sweet spirit and satisfaction that come from giving full-time service together in the work of the Master."

 Jesus Christ has set the perfect example here as you can see in this picture.
Lets listen to the words of our prophet who lives today and get to work! In order to get this work done we have to WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment