Monday, June 20, 2011

What Matters Most to you?

What matters most to you in your life? What brings you the most happiness? Who are your best memories with?

I will tell you my story. Above is a picture of my family(parents, neices nephews, brothers and sisters) minus 2 of us. My brother Bryan and I are not in this picture. At the time of this picture we are serving our missions. He was in the Maryland Baltimore Mission and I am here in the Tennessee Nashville Mission. They have always been there for me. My greatest memories are those with my family. My best relationship on earth is with my family. I grew up having 4 older brothers and 2 younger sister and a younger brother. It was amazing having 8 of us devils as my mom might say at home. Together we would break things, fix things and well we would just have fun. We together are a close family I think anyways. I don't know what they think. LOL! Well I was born of goodly parents. Throughout my life they have continually taught me the gospel and showed me an example of loving parents. My parents were always so loving when we were bad kids. They still loved us after we would destroy things, fight, play together, and well were just kids. We would go down to Salt Lake City, Utah every year for family vacation to visit my fathers parents. Boy those were some drives. Just imagine that many kids in a mini van for 10-12 hours. Luckily we lived only 40 minutes from my moms parents. They lived on a farm and well my parents didn't have to worry about us disturbing the neighbors. USUALLY! As a boy I loved to play with little matchbox cars. I remember my dad when he was YOUNGER (cough cough) he would play cars with me.  I often reflect upon those times where we would act like we were racing these cars in a circle like a nascar race. O those memories I cherish whether my dad knows it or not.
Later I was able to go with my dad and older brothers to mow lawns. I learned how to work. We would go out every year and rake the leaves in the lawn. You know us being kids we would make as big of piles as we could so we could jump in it. We would steal leaves from our neighbors yards so we could make an even bigger pile. My dad usually wasn't to fond on that because that was more work for him. That is not to worry though we have the memories.


My mom taught me how to do house work. This time it wasn't outside piling leaves. We were in the basement piling clothes so we could jump into them. Oh how they dealt with us I know not. We would take the top off the toy box and race down the stairs. LUCKILY we never had to go to the hospital for that one. As we got older we started to get busy in sports. Well we were hardly busy but my poor parents were. We were in different towns all the time. We were pretty much all on different sports teams. I am sure my parents wished they could have been at different places at once. Growing up my family would go to the church and play basketball, we would go across the street in an open field and we would play softball. Even today my parents still go and plays basketball with us. O I hope I can be as active as them. Running to all of our needs they stayed busy enough that they often slept very little. My dad later in life was working hours that hardly made it possible to see him. He was working so hard to be able to provide for our large family. Oh how greatful I am for my parents and all the sacrifices they have made for us their children.


You might be wondering what this has to do with, "What matters most to you?" Well the reason I talk about my family and my experiences are because this is what matters most to me. The knowledge of the sealing powers of Heaven here on earth makes me comfortable knowing that all these memories will be with me for eternity. As you may see I love my family. I cherish all the memories that I have with them. My family is my support group. They have always been there for me and I know they will always be there for me. Even if it is only emotional support. I know that God has a plan for us to be with these families. I know that that plan is eternal and family is at the center of His plan. Thankfully as we grow up our support group gets bigger and wider spread which is our LARGER/EXTENDED family.



Preach my Gospel proclaims about families,
"Because of the Restoration we understand God’s purpose for families: “The divine plan of happiness
enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and
covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the
presence of God and for families to be united eternally” (“The Family: A Proclamation to
the World)
On earth, family associations can be the source of some of our greatest joy. Satan is
attacking the family on many fronts, and too many families are being destroyed by his
efforts. The message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ makes it possible for families
to be united now and in eternity. By living the principles of the gospel, families can
experience peace, joy, and a sense of belonging and identity in this life. Through the light
of the gospel, families can resolve misunderstandings, contentions, and challenges. Families
torn by discord can be healed through repentance, forgiveness, and faith in the power of
the Atonement of Jesus Christ. “Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when
founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are
established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect,
love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities."

For I know that the purpose of families is much greater than any of us can comprehend. Each child born is a son or daughter of a loving Heavenly Father. He gives us the power to create life and expects us to use it wisely. He does not delight in taking life. For those who abuse this power, the judgements of God shall fall upon them. But know that there is Forgiveness through Repentance. It may not be an easy process especially knowing you have disobeyed a Loving Heavenly Father. But in the end if we repent all things shall be wiped away because of our faith and obedience. This can be accomplished because of the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ who sufferred for all mankind. Not just sins, but pains, sorrows and trials. Know there is HOPE! You are not alone in this fight. "And I, the Lord, would fight their battles, and their children’s battles, and their children’s children’s, until they had avenged themselves on all their enemies, to the third and fourth generation." (Doctrine and Covenants 98:37) Here is God's promise to us that He will help fight our battles only when we do all that we can. In John 16:33 Jesus Christ proclaims, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." With this knowledge lets all jump into the path of righteousness and fight this battle not alone but with Christ. Let us stand firm in the Faith and move towards Christ. Let us teach others about the importance of the family and the purpose of the family. More joy and happiness in the family will come through living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Families are ordained of our Almighty God! Remember those memories of mine are because of my family.



For more information on the family go to
The Family: A Proclamation to the World

No comments:

Post a Comment