Saturday, September 24, 2011

Where is your Focus?

Sorry I haven't written lately. Things have been really hectic and I don't have the computer as long. I have been pondering lately about where is the focus my focus? What do I want to accomplish in this life? What do I want in the eternities?  These are all just basic questions but the truth behind it is these questions may change how we view things, and what we focus upon.


I am forever thinking about what I want to do for a career. I have my mind on my dream but is there something else I should do? I am always pondering and dreaming about this. Last night in fact I had a dream that a police officer asked me for some id and I pulled out an Active Duty Marine Corps. ID. When I decided to come on a mission I was actually filling out the paperwork for the Marine Corps. I thought that was pretty cool. I would still absolutely love to go and serve in the military. God is showing me the path of where I need to be though which is even greater!


I have a question for you, "Where is your focus?" This is a pretty general question but lets think of it deeper. Do you focus more on what happened in the past than you do on the present? Do you set your family aside to get the pleasures that you so please? Do you focus on work more than you focus on being the father of your children? There are times that we do need to focus on work. Because of the economy many fathers and mother are having to work more than one job which really cuts down time at home. They are trying to provided for their children's needs.I am not a parent yet so I don't understand exactly what it is like to take care of my own kids. I have helped with nieces and nephews though. I have rented my own house and paid my own bills. So I am not completely knowledgeable in this subject, but I do know that there is a lot that has to be done.


Does it seem like to you that there is no fun and play because of all the things that you have to do? Do you feel the list of things to do keeps getting longer and longer? Welcome to the reality of life where in order to slow down the pace you have to do it. You have to take control of the situation and decide what is the most important. You are in control of your life ALWAYS REMEMBER that! Nobody else can be. You can let others influence your life but they can't make you do anything. Many times people say the Devil makes them do it but that is NOT SO! They say they can't do anything to change their life and that is false. Does God make you do anything? He ALWAYS INVITES you to do something. Lets think about this for a second.


Is your life focus on doing the will of our Heavenly Father? That is the number one step in our life. How do we figure out His will? That is something you have to do personally. You will need to humble yourself and admit you need help and then get on your knees and pray to your ever so loving Father in Heaven. Talk to Him and ask what you should do. Figure out what His will is for you and not what you want to do. This will be completely personal for you. Maybe some things will be for your family or something but you can not receive revelation for someone you do not have stewardship over. Write the answer you receive down as this is so important. We as humans can hardly remember things sometimes and when you write it down you got paper that will remember it for you.


There are many things we need to focus on in our lives but there are many things we surely do not need to have any participation in even though you think you may to be cool or popular or liked. If that is why you are doing it then surely it is the wrong reason. Some of the things we need to focus on are things the latter-day prophets are speaking about. Examples are GOD, Education, FAMILY, etc..


We as individuals know what we need to focus on. We can pray to see if it is right to focus on. We can seek help and guidance from parents, spouse, etc.. ALWAYS REMEMBER God is right there waiting to help, but He is waiting for us to ask. I know that if we focus on the things of God that we will not have to worry about the rest.

In 3 Nephi 13:19-21 Christ counsels us,
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal;
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
 Christ says in 3 Nephi 11:31-34,
"Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.
Sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof."

As we listen to this counsel we have been promised by the Savior Himself the things that we need will be given to us as we seek first the kingdom of God.

As I have been taking my own advice and finding out what God wants me to do I am learning so much and changing so much in my life. I am changing career choices along with going to a different school and where I should live after my mission. He is guiding me in this process as I listen to His counsel. My dreams are not what He wants me to do. It is hard to accept at times but I know it is for me that He is directing me this way. I am so thankful for having such a Loving Father in Heaven. I know that as we listen to His counsel whether we understand it or not we will be directed to success. Try this because it really works and helps out in decisions whether difficult or easy He will help.

2 comments:

  1. Focus can be so hard to find.
    I know that when I pray to remember WHY I do WHAT I do then I have a better attitude towards HOW I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá! tudo bem? linda mensagem :)

    ReplyDelete